Mar 19, 2011

Assorted Plants

Having found pleasure in gardening, I've planted an assortment of plants. Here are some of the pictures of them.

Peppermint is among the easiest to plant. All you need to do is to buy a bundle of them from the market. Strip all the leaves to cook or brew tea. Finally, simply plant the stems on the soil and water twice daily. I got myself a few potful of peppermint through this method. I am also using this method to keep my peppermint supply constant.
Peppermint
Peppermint

I got myself a bunch of choy sum through the seeds I bought from a local store. It was a lot easier than I thought. Simply sprinkle them and water daily. And now, they are almost ready for harvest. Hopefully, some of the flowers will turn into seeds for me to keep the cycle going.
Choy Sum with Flower
Choy Sum with budding flower

Chilli was quite easy to plant as well. All you need is to get some fresh chilli from the market and extract the seeds. Sprinkle them on the soil and water daily. This particular tree was with me for a few months already. It may still take some time to flower and fruit.
Chilli
Chilli Plant

These bitter gourd vines were a surprise to me. The first batch didn't germinate and went spoil. I threw in the second batch deep into the soil with other organic material as compost, then added soil and planted some choy sum on the top. They just took me by surprise when they germinated. I shall be adding some structures for them to climb on soon.
Bitter Gourd Vines
Bitter Gourd

When your sweet potatoes started growing vines, you can simply cut out the small portion of the sweet potato with the vines and plant them. You still get to eat the rest of it! They grow quite easily, however, you need to have a bit of land area for them as they seem to take quite a lot of nutrients from the soil. The land area is also for the sweet potatoes to grow. However, this batch, I am planting only for the vines, so I planted them in a pot. I am considering propagating some of them onto the ground for more growth.
Sweet Potato Vine

Sweet Potato Vine

Planting can be fun and rewarding. I have more plants coming up soon in the future and also some tips on how to take care of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment